Sri Ramanuja Mission. Inc. (SRI) is the official US branch of Srirangam Srimath Andavan Ashramam, a mutt in the temple town of Srirangam in India which was founded 400 years ago. The Mission’s primary objectives are to preserve, practice and promote awareness of the rich Vedic principles of Srivaishnavism to the world community. The Mission is a registered non-profit organization in the state of Maryland, and has been active all over the United States since its establishment on April 14, 1997.
Sri Ramanuja Mission purchased a 6-acre property on March 18, 2013 at 619 Elizabeth Avenue, Franklin Township, NJ 08873, to construct SRIVARI SRI BALAJI TEMPLE. The cost of the property was $875,000 of which $360,000 remains outstanding as mortgage loan with TD Bank. The property came with a 5 bedroom house which is used as priest quarters. The facility was opened for religious services on April 14 2013.
Construction of 2000 sq ft prayer hall along with 60 parking lots and complete site work started on Oct 2014 at the cost of $1.1 million. The full cost was paid off through donations raised from general public. In March 2016, the construction was completed and received temporary occupancy certificate. The invocation of deities and grand opening of the temple ceremony took place for 5 days with more than 2000 people in attendance from various states on May 27, 2016. Permanent occupancy was received on Jul 20, 2016.
Approximately 200 people visit the temple on a weekly basis with the number going up significantly on special occasions. During special events, the adjacent public school parking is used. Temple provides various religious services on premises as well as at devotee’s place.
Temple Phase One – work in progress
- The granite stones were ordered on March 14, 2017.
- The carving work on the first stone will start on 30th Apr’ 2017. The special Homam and Pooja will be done by Nellvoy mama & Sriram mama at Sthapati Pattari (work place) located at Mahabalipuram.
- Carving for all stones for Garbhagruham, Ananda Vimanam, Garudar Sannathi and Garuda mandapam are to be completed in sections and will reach Srivaikuntam complex at NJ by 31st December 2018.
- The site work and building approval will be done by 31st March 2018
- Completing the Foundation by local builder: 31st December 2018
- Completing the Pushkarni: 31st December 2018
- Arrival of Ten Sthapatis to NJ: 15th March 2019
- Completing the assembly of granite stones: 30th Nov 2019
- Expected date of Prana Prathistapana for Srivar Sri Balaji: 27th May 2020.
Phase two – Charter – Starting 27th May 2021
- Building the second enclosure Prakaram, three separate Shrines of Sri varadar, Sri Yoga Narasimhar facing towards west direction and Alwars and Acharyas mandapam facing towards the south direction.
- Yagasala is accommodated on the second prakaram’s northease zone.
- Outer Prakaram’s northeast corner is occupied by Sri Varahar.
- The main entrance of the temple is designed to have a majestic Rajagopuram with steps to enter the Temple. The flight of steps lands on a spacious landing from where one takes the divine path leading to the Garbhagruham housing Lord Srivari Sri Balaji.